Innovative Solutions: For this Challenge, innovation is defined as the development and application of unconventional, new and/or modification of technologies, tools, products, services, or processes.
User-Centered: Solutions should be designed for the end customers or beneficiaries.
Scalability: The ability for innovations to benefit the highest number of people possible, through a variety of pathways:
Sustainability: The ability to continue activities beyond donor funding.
- A market-based or commercial pathway;
- A public strategy via incorporation into the practices of country governments, donors, or philanthropists; or
- A combination of commercial and public or philanthropic support.
Context-Aware: Solutions must be tailored to the operating context so that any potential negative effects are mitigated and, when possible, positive dynamics are amplified. This includes demonstrating an understanding of:
Measurable Impact: All solutions must improve lives in a measurable way, or, for early stage ideas, have a reasonable potential to do so.
- Local activities, places, people, and dynamics that can divide and connect people, provoke or alleviate tensions or conflict,
- Political dynamics and risks,
- Legal, regulatory, resource, or institutional constraints.
Building Self-Reliance: Solutions need to build capacity or skills to enable Venezuelans and host communities to solve their own problems or expand their networks.
Inclusion: Solutions must promote inclusion and diversity, including in their operational structure and approach. Inclusion and diversity are considered in multiple dimensions, including:
Transparency and Accountability:
- Host and migrant communities;
- The interests and needs of women and girls, and people who are marginalized because of their gender, sex, sexuality, religion, ethnicity, age or income, as well as people with disabilities, and under-represented groups;
- New, non-traditional solvers, or partnering substantively with a local or non-traditional solver or entity.
- The Challenge is seeking solutions that increase the capacity of public and private entities to monitor the provision and consumption of goods and services in an equitable and transparent manner.
- Awardees should ensure that financial information, operating processes, and protocols are transparent to relevant stakeholders.